3/01/2008

Make me a Supermodel. Season 1. Episode 8. Recapped.

[To get to all of my screen captures, click here.]

Wintertime! I love romantic settings. Wintertime in New York City is definitely one of them. Ben and Ronnie woke up watching the snow falling and all Ben had to say was "Damn." Wannabe straight men just don't feel romance even if it is punching them in the face. But that's just another reason for his charme, he's just playing his role perfectly. Deep inside he knew he wanted to jump out the door giggling, making snow angels with Ronnie.

But before that, he had to go to meet the judges who were going to announce the viewers decision of who was going home. Jacki, Perry and him had been up for the vote. Thankfully they sent Jacki home instead of Ben. Although in my eyes Perry should have been eliminated. He's just not pretty. But in some cases I just don't see what a real casting director sees. With Jacki being eliminated Shannon and Holly were now the last women standing, facing five guys.

The challenge for this week took all the models on a winter weekend. The assignment was all about motion and capturing movement so they had to be in full control of their bodies and body language as well as of their facial expressions. I really liked this one although nobody had to get naked because it was just so natural. Unfortunately Ronnie and Ben again weren't teamed up, so they could not show any "motion in the snow" but it went rather well for both of them. Ronnie, who had to shoot with Perry, did a great job so that Jennifer Starr later even felt the need to apologize to him for her criticism. Ben also got a cute shot although the photographer found fault in his lack of variety of expressions.

But what I liked most about the photographer (can't remember his name, but he had done somehting for Harpers Bazaar somewhen so I'm sure you all know him) was the fact that he was actually the first person criticizing Frankies geeky smile. You know, his boyish way of opening his mouth as if he had no control over his facial muscles... He looks ridiculous with his mouth open. But still not ridiculous enough to not adore him. Bad for him, his smile sent him right back to New York whereas the other models got to stay in the mountain lodge until the next day. But after seeing what happened next I wish it would have been Ben.

The next day the six remaining models had to compete against each other in two teams, one of them consisting of Perry, Ronnie and Casey, the other one consisting of Shannon, Holly and Ben. It all started with some comment from Ben about Perry and him both having two women on their teams. Right there Ronnie seemed to be pissed and also Holly felt that Ben had crossed a line, but a comparison to women? Could imagine worse... What really upset me was another comment. The challenge was to build a snow sculpture as tall as the tallest one of their teams, so Ronnie, Casey and Perry decided to build some kind of snow tower (see above). Ben felt that it looked like a penis and kept saying "This is gay. This is really gay". He summarized his thoughts by stating "You can't make a supermodel out of some gal that makes penises in the snow. That's not respectable in any kinda way." Not respectable? I would never have expected to hear some immature crap like that from Ben. Underlining his frustration he had to crash the snow penis.

I was shocked and feared that there would not be any kind of making out between Ben and Ronnie at all after that, but as soon as I had swallowed my anger and tried to understand the whole thing it all became crystal clear. Being confronted with some handsome and adorable gay guy, Ben had to face his own sexual confusion. Being a prison guard in Nashville, TN there is no other way than being straight and marrying a beautiful some woman. He never even was introduced to the possibility that one man can be in love with another man. Now he had the time to think and there probably were some really deep emotions burgeoning in him so he realized "Yes, I am at least bi- curious." But of course he had some huge problems dealing with the whole situation and sexual frustration so in this very moment it all just broke out. Awwwwwwwwwww..... I love my story. And I'm beginning to believe it.

Back home Ronnie confronted Ben with his immature and hurting behavior, telling him that all those comments "took him to a really dark place in his life where he already had gone through all of this, being called names and being beaten up" and that "his respect is something he doesn't hand out just to everyone." He really had some deep thoughts but as soon as Ben said "Sorry. Didn't mean to hurt you." Ronnie forgave and forgot. Sweethearts are fast forgivers. This is just love.

Damn, I really feel thrown back to my bitter gay youth... Philipp, if you're reading this, I am still waiting for you.... Poor, I know.

The runway challenge was to step onto a moving platform striking three poses. Sounds easier than it is. Shannon and Holly even had to stand strong in those shoes! (Picured above) Runway wasn't that exciting, none of them looked really stunning and/ or graceful, Holly did the best, Casey did the worst, lalala. What came as yet another shock was Bens answer being asked "Do you consider youself being sexy?" Ben: "No." He wasn't even thinking. Not for a second. Poor little Ben never was lucky with the girls (and never got to kiss the boy he always wanted to kiss) so he never had the greatest self esteem. Isn't that just heartbreaking? I so wanted to see Ronnie hugging him, wiping a tear of Bens cheek and telling him how beautiful he is. I think I kinda created my own little soap opera and I love it.

Ben, Frankie and Casey are up for the vote and I pray Ben gets to stay another week so my soap opera can continue. Otherwise my head has to create some "Behind the scenes"- scenario and that'll be way more work than just misinterpreting reality. So please, reality TV goddess (whom I still haven't given a name yet), let my Ben stay another day (click for some fine music). If last week was pure comedy, this week was pure tragedy. I can't believe how much I am into the whole Ronnie and Ben thing. I need to find a man real soon...

No comments: